Saturday, April 16, 2005

Lucky Me [not the noodle]

I hosted a girls' night in for a few friends a couple of days ago. It was a bit of work--grocery-shopping, cooking and entree, main course and dessert, cleaning my room for the sleepover--but I had so much fun! Imagine me, little miss lazybones slaving over chores for a few girlfriends (heck, I can't even lift a finger to clean my pigsty of a room sometimes) and actually liking it? Boy, some things sure have changed.

I entered college vowing that I would expand my horizons. By that I meant having guy friends. Sure, nice girls were welcome, but who needs new girlfriends when I've had a tight clique of girlfriends from way back grade school? I felt so boxed in and repressed by my 12 years in an exclusive school for girls (albeit run by nuns!) that I was raring to interact with more guys than I do girls. Little did I know...

The four girls that came to my house last Thursday--they're a great bunch. Although I never would have expected to be friends with them like, ever.

There's AGNES, the youngest one. The first time I got to know her, I thought, hey, here's a wack job! She was just...weird. She talked in this tiny voice, liked doodling on her own skin, and looked like Gladys Reyes (whatta combination). I'm happy to have realized that she was so much more than that. Sure, she still is weird, but she's also nice, funny and very talented. A party is never complete without her. She just has this weird gift of making people laugh, even if she does it unintentionally.

Then there's LOVE. I did not like her the first time I knew her. She, to me, seemed maarte, mataray, and maldita (wow). Well, getting to know her didn't really prove those notions wrong, but now that's what endeared her to me. I guess I didn't like her before because I was unknowingly seeing a reflection of myself (hah!). I guess it takes one to know one! If birds of the same feather did flock together, then I guess we both have pink and purple plumes!

TSERI is definitely one-in-a-million. There's just nobody like her. She's weird, moody, a little slow sometimes, and waaay confused. But she's also very pretty, has really good taste in music, very creative and really sweet. She used to hate boytalk but now there's no one better to talk boys to than her!

And LENI, my most trusted college friend. She definitely has a strong personality--to the point of people branding her all sorts of labels. I am lucky to have been let in on her soft side more than a couple of times. Sure, she's brutally frank and is never hesitant to voice her opinions, but those are things that I really admire in her. If I could plainly say what's on my mind half the time, I woul be a very happy girl. On top of that, she's very loyal and is always grateful for the smallest favors. She's a true person and that's so hard to find these days. A diamond in the rough.

And ME--I'm a very lucky girl for having friends like these. Here's to lasting friendships and more GNI's!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home