Saturday, May 06, 2006

25...

"...but time makes you bolder,
Even children get older,
And I'm getting older too..."
Stevie Nicks, Landslide

Today I realized two things. Reinforced my awareness of two things was more like it. The first thing was that I have grown up.

I met up with my high school best friends for a merienda date (which, of course, transpired into a dinner date with all the chatting and catching up in between bites). While it followed the usual flow of our barkada dates, I couldn't help but notice how some things seemed to be different--conversations (though still enjoyable) seemed more serious, more about our grown-up live's issues than actual chismis, more open in terms of personal insight. When someone talked, we didn't just listen and then made cracks about the situation (like we always did)--we actually thought about it and shared our strong, adult opinions. Looking back to this afternoon, it now feels as if my subconscious was hovering above these 5 ladies, listening in on conversations not too far from what our mothers probably have with their own groups of friends. We are growing up. Wow.

The second thing I reaffirmed was something I picked up from the book The Alchemist, by Paulo Coelho: "It's this: that at a certain point in our lives, we lose control of what's happening to us, and our lives become controlled by fate. That's the world's greatest lie."

I believe that we never lose control of what's happening to us. There's still a choice, one that we made, in between all of things that we feel are taking over our lives. Sometimes, the feeling that we are losing control of our lives comes from the lack of willingness to put our feet down and make decisions --just because we fear the risk of being hurt, being broken, as opposed to being happy, having peace of mind, being made.

These are things I re-realized listening to a good friend's many dilemmas about a long-standing issue--one that I feel is being given too much of a deal when in reality, it is the actual answer to the question that it, itself, raises. It's a no-brainer, actually. It just becomes a big issue because it is given a lot of attention--most of the time, too much for it's [non]gravity. Because of this everything seems blurry, all answers seem vague, nothing is ever resolved--again, because one would rather not take a risk for fear of losing something (or someone) whose value is still yet to be assessed.

Should this matter be left unresolved,"...the landslide [most definitely] will bring us down."

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice! Where you get this guestbook? I want the same script.. Awesome content. thankyou.
»

7:46 AM, May 26, 2006  

Post a Comment

<< Home