Friday, February 16, 2007

growing up / getting old

Went to Liv's mom's wake for the second day in a row. While it was fun seeing old (yet still funny :P) faces, I couldn't help but wish that it didn't have to take a couple of funerals for us old girls to come around and keep in touch. I can't help but reminisce back in the day (which is like, about 10 years since high school) when my house was the place to be--whether it be a small drinking session, a huge bash, practice for school plays, cramming for group projects, etc. It's a little bit sad to think how we've all become so caught up in our own hectic, stressful lives that we only get to see each other and catch up once or twice a year--if we're lucky, that is. It's especially senti-inducing to realize how much I've missed these people--my girls, whom I've known all my life, and who are more like soul sisters to me than anything else.


In a way, we're all guilty of letting ourselves be swept away in the whirlwind that is adulthood, guilty of a crime called growing up (or getting old, whichever's more appropriate). However, it's such a flimsy excuse for slightly neglecting old bonds and kinships. While friendships may grow up, they don't necessarily have to grow apart (except for when they become toxic, and best friends become frenemies).


Despite the unsettling circumstances surrounding my mini-reunion with old friends, last night was the most fun I've had in a while. It was relatively simple--sharing stories, catching up, reminiscing about the old days, looking at pictures of new babies and kids, interrogating each other about lives and loves--but it was, to say the least, so fulfilling.


I am a very lucky girl to have access to many wonderful moments such as this night, and even luckier to have friends to create such moments with.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home