Wednesday, May 18, 2005

My Stint as a Fairytale Character

I've been in a Cinderella state of mind for three days now. Three and a half, actually. You see, my Ninang's coming home from the US in two weeks and she's going to be staying with us for a month. So? Cleaning a 20 sq. m. room shouldn't be too hard, should it? Well...not when you've been using it as a makeshift basement/garage/storage room for 3 years now. Oh boy.

My sister and I started sorting out all the stuff and packing them into these XXL garbage bags (they came up to about a dozen, not including all the other stuff in boxes). It was virtually impossible to carry a dozen 200-lb. bags down a flight of stairs into the garage--but not if you've seen Home Alone. Yup, we took inspiration from Macaulay Culkin's sled ride down the stairs into the snow by piling the bags one by one onto our "sled"--a square meter piece of thick styrofoam and newspaper. Kicking the bags down to slide was a huge stress reliever (if only the windows didn't rattle too much once the bags hit the marble floor). It was sooo fun.

Next up was washing the walls and the window grills. Let me tell you--60's style super ornate grills should be forever outlawed. It took so freakin' long to get the dust off those tiny corners--I was seriously contemplating getting the water hose upstairs to just hose it all off (never mind the waterfall that would be cascading down the stairs).

After what seemed like a million years of window-washing, we finally got to the floors. See, these floors were of 40+ year-old Narra planks and you had to be careful not to wear them out too much. We swept, washed and mopped them until no trace of dust was visible.

I've never waxed floors in 7 years up until yesterday. Oh. My. God. My back felt like it was on fire after that chore. Then there was our ancient floor polisher which seemed like it had a mind of its own. It would have been easier to domesticate a bull than that bullcrap of a polisher. But I did it--I got the floors squeaky-clean and shinier than Michael Jordan's noggin.

Today, I was left home alone. I decided to start my day right--by polishing MY and MY SISTER'S rooms' floors. Talk about a workout! If I'd videotaped that and sold it on Tower Records as a workout CD, I would have been a millionaire by now.

I was so dead tired I didn't realize I forgot to have lunch until 2pm. It was the most delicious meal of corned beef I've ever tasted, and the best shower of my entire life. I honestly think I've lost a couple of pounds the past 3 days. See, you don't need a gym membership!

I now have a newfound method of therapy and workout combined. Hah, pilates my *ss!!!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home