Wednesday, May 04, 2005

Wishful Thinking

I never really thought about my family situation in a long time until today. Someone was asking for advice about her own life (which was weird, asking for help from me, of all people), and I got to thinking about my own. It was definitely a wake-up call, like I was in this stupor for a long time and someone just snapped their fingers in front of my face.

I always prided myself in coming out good despite coming from a broken home. I saw how other kids dealt with their parents' separation and a lot of them were pretty self-destructive. I wasn't like that. Things were different, and I was ok.

It's just now that I see how things were far from perfect like I thought they were. There are a lot of what if's and that kind of thing, even though it's kinda late for that. Still I wish I was a little bit older when my parents split--I would have been more devastated, but I know I would have understood it more. I wish they had talked to us kids about it, even at a young age, instead of pretending that things were ok. We would have understood it fine--we're smart kids. I wish there was more effort on my dad's part to reach out to us kids instead of remaining content in a strained, estranged relationship.

I know, I know. Lot's of wishes wished too late. Wala lang. Everyone's entitled to wishful thinking naman diba?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home