Saturday, July 30, 2005

The Ghost in the Theater

I saw the musical St. Louis Loves Dem Filipinos with Leni last night. On our way to the theater, she mentioned how that particular theater was rumored to be haunted by this ghost who, from time to time, was fond of making cameos in productions.

Well, there was a ghost alright. I saw it. But not in the way I expected to. I saw a ghost--my own ghost.

I loved the musical. I even consider it as one of the best I've seen and enjoyed, alongside Miss Saigon, which really wowed my brains out. It had a great storyline, wonderful melodies, a great cast, everything you would want in a musical. But most of all, I loved it for the fact that it touched me and awakened in me realizations that to me were almost lost, stuffed to rot in the back of my mind.


I could so relate to the lead character, Bulan. He was always poised for greatness, and just makes it his life's ultimate goal to do something great, something he'll be remembered for. So he goes and joins in the journey of his life, on the other side of the world he's accustomed to. He learns new things, sees new things--he's so fascinated by everything out in this great, big, new world. And so he takes the plunge and immerses himself in all that is new to him. At first to learn more, do more, be more--and after just to numb the pain of losing everything he held so dear. He carelessly goes about, making mistakes along the way, exposing himself to other people's judgements or misjudgements, falling for many traps. He almost gives up only to realize that it's never too late to rise from the fall--and that most of the time, we don't have to look very far to see what we search for.

I saw my ghost last night, and the ghosts of many others who, like me, forget that home is where the heart is. It' such a cliche, but so real at the same time--a lot like how love is. We search far and wide, plunging into unknown territories for that one shining moment that to us will define our lives ultimately. We forget that we're just passing through, as one song in the musical goes.

I am also thankful to have been reminded that sometimes we find genuine friendship and car where (or from whom) we hardly expect it. We've become so judgemental as persons that we hardly give that unfamiliar something the benefit of the doubt that everyone deserves. Although it is also important to note how at times, it is what (or who) we expect to receive such a treatment from that which denies us of it, as I was also reminded. It's a sad realization.

Overall, I'm thankful to be the person who does not run out of hope, like Bulan. It's something I hold on to so fiercely, and at times the only thing I have to hold on to. It's that which comforts me during my low days, and that which invites me to look forward to the good days.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home