Friday, April 20, 2007

spiderman.crazy parents.pasta party.lolita.books.

Yesterday, on board a cab to UP, the taxi driver suddenly turned to me and said, "Ma'am, nakita niyo na ba si Spiderman?" I was like, umm...no... lemme out!!!! :p

Turns out the Spiderman he was referring to was some guy who climbed atop a billboard near SM North and was threathening to jump. He was there for hours, standing up, seemingly about to jump, then sitting back down.Traffic went ballistic, and so did the people who went to usi and bear witness to this public display of desperation (PDD?) that seems to me, a lot of people have resorted to ever since we let GMA twist our sorry little as*es around her [super-]pinky finger.

Kawawa naman ang Pinoy :(

*****

While waiting for the sheets we were plotting yesterday (4 sheets in 1 1/2 hours, ano ba yon?), Dax and I got to talking about how, as eldest children, we always bear the brunt of our younger siblings' faults.
It's funny, really. Like when Anna goes home late without even calling or texting, my Lolo goes ballistic on ME."SA'N NA BA YUNG KAPATID MO? BAKIT GABING-GABI NA UMUWI? SINO BA ANG KASAMA NIYAN? ANO BANG KLASENG GAWAIN YAN?", etc. etc. And then poor little me, without a clue about what to answer back, just takes all the sermon in silently, without a word, when my insides just really want to shout back, "Ummm, hello? WAG NYO KAYA AKO PAGALITAN NO!!!!" >:s
And then, when our little brothers and sisters finally do come home, the folks go all-Jello and ask in the gentlest possible tone ever, "O...san ka nanggaling? Kumain ka na ba? Nagtira ako ng pagkain para sa'yo. O Inday, ipaghanda mo na ang ate mo...."

And then you, overcome with how your parents turn from monsters to kittens in the blink of an eye, just sit there blinking like a stupid person. "Whaaa...?"

Life is unfair :p

*****

Nothing like stuffing your face with food and making-tunganga with friends to beat the heat and boredom. I had isaw yesterday after the longest time. And then Saba con Hielo at Lutong Kapitbahay (where the fruit shakes, no matter the flavor, come with chocolate Champola and the halo-halo, with Mocha ice cream. Wahaha). Ang saraaaaaaap....... *licks lips*
Then we decided to go back to my house, have a pasta party and a few drinks--without a clue about how the night's going to turn out. *evil grin*

So I, Leni, Dax, JP, Jas and Justin had a pasta party and a few beers, and tons and tons of sidesplitting laughter. We came up with this MLV cocktail (also available on the rocks, wah) of beer and gin mixture (beer-gin, get it? :p), named after one of our infamous Arki professors. Wahahaha. Laugh trip. I honestly thought I'd pass out from laughing so hard. And the fun hasn't even begun yet (no, Dax? ;p)

And since it was so hot and we were kinda tipsy (except for Leni, who's been "sober" for a few months now :p), we decided to head upstairs where there was AC and lots of stuff to play with. Like makeup, for example. Which ended up on Dax's face. Whom we nicknamed Lolita afterwards. And then decided he'd be representing AF in this year's Hiyas ng Arki. Wahahahaha.

Before: Dax; After: Lolita


Niiiiiiice...... :p

*****

Since today's International Book Day, I'm heading off later to Instituto Cervantes with my girlfriends to hit the book fair and film fest.

Which reminds me--I've had this utter fascination for modern children's books lately. Just last week I bought two at National Bookstore for 65 pesos each (a steal, if you ask me). I'm amazed at how even children's literature has somehow managed to reinvent itself to fit today's issues and environment.

Like the books I purchased: May Mga Lihim Kami ni Ingkong (Secrets with Lolo) and Sandosenang Sapatos (A Dozen Pairs of Shoes), both by Luis Gatmaitan MD and Beth Doctolero.

The first one I bought because it was about a kid's relationship with his lolo, something that's very close to my heart. And then a surprising twist at the end--turns out the book's aim was to educate kids about dealing with parents or grandparents with Alzheimer's or other mental illnesses. And then Sandosenang... teaches kids how to cope with having siblings with disabilities (in this case, physical deformities).

And these books are also bi-lingual (written in Filipino with English translation), which made me think how wonderful it was to be able to explain such good stories to my non-Filipino speaking sister. Amazing.

It's a good thing books like this are around. I think that it's not just the kids who'll benefit from stories like this, but us adults as well--yes, we who have become too caught up in our mature, responsible (jaded? :p) adult lives. Sometimes we just need a different perspective (even that of a child's) to stop and look at the things, the issues around us :)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home