Wednesday, December 06, 2006

JMHO (Just My Humble Opinion)

I was just talking to a really good friend over YM about well--like I've established in previous posts--the inevitable. That is, love. Relationships. Partnership. Call it whatever you want.

I'm amazed/astounded/flabbergasted (sort of) about how her take on things like that seemed. We were talking about this guy she recently met and had a long-distance-friendship-turned-mutual-admiration-thingy with, and I guess I wasn't so comfortable with the idea that she was actually having thoughts about their future together in the States. I mean, this early?! She said they just have so much in common and were completely compatible with each other, that her only worry as of now is how they're going to emotionally jive once they meet sometime next year.

My head started spinning, thinking, "Never mind emotionally getting along. You've just put everything into overdrive!"

Now I don't know if I'm just emotionally tired, or cynical, or just plain jaded about relationship issues, but I just can't help but feel like she's rushing into things so fast and so easy. It didn't help that she actually said, "I hope this really is it. Because I'm getting tired of looking for The One."

I say go to Astrovision and check under Action Movies. At this rate in their [not so] relationship, only Jet Li can be The One :s

I have to say this, and this is without any trace of sarcasm or cynicism: I'm scared for her. I'm scared for people like her, who look too much, look too far, too wide, and too soon for Mr./Ms. Right. Because I'm a firm believer in the idea that the more you look for it, the more it becomes elusive.

Easy for me to say, right? I mean, for someone who's not currently in a relationship and (more importantly) someone who's not looking to be in a relationship anytime soon--it's so easy for me to trash their lovelorn dreams of relationship bliss.

But it's not easy. Because I know what it's like to keep on looking for that someone, and in all the wrong places nevertheless. It really does not work that way. For some, maybe. But only a lucky few actually do find that treasure on the map. Some may be reading the map wrong, and some are just plain looking for treasure that was not there in the first place.

Sure, it sucks to be alone come Christmas. And it doesn't help your ego to stick out like a sore thumb on Valentine's Day. But there really is truth to that so-called single-blessedness. I've come to know that--I learned more about myself, did whatever I wanted to do, went out with friends whenever I wanted to. Learned the truth in the saying that, "Before you can love others, you have to learn, first and foremost, to love yourself."

Most importantly, I found truth in that Whitney Houston song I've been singing since I was three. The one that goes, "Learning to love yourself--it is the greatest love of all."

Hehe.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home